Wardrobe of Eunuchs

L'histoire de Moi

Saturday, October 01, 2005

I think I finally understand what it is to be Southern.

I just got done watching Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus, a film directed and photographed by Andrew Douglas. Though it was under the context of a documentary, the way it was layed out, the cinematography, and the music used made it feel nearly like a movie all in it's own. I liked it--I don't think I can quite discribe it to it's true perfection, though. The soundtrack even included a new song by Cat Power, which was neato, and I really enjoyed the old caress of mountain music.

It's so true: you never really appreciate it when most of your young life is spent within Southern bonds--generations apon generations living in the same place feels like a bearier that needs breaking. It isn't until you are free of it that you appreciate your heritage for what it's worth. I know what it is to be Southern. Look beyond the accents, the funny faces, the out-of-date clothing and hair. There's passion, a lack of concern about what the rest of the world thinks about how you live. There's never-ending love and devotion--a unique religious connection that has adapted a life of it's own to the needs of those who feel like nothing's ever happened, and nothing ever will.

I've decided that water and music are holy elements. No, this isn't an original thought, but they are present within nearly ever religion, and surely within all of the main ones. I don't like country music, but I've grown to appreciate the roots in my blood that are connected to the distant stream of mountain music, that once, and still does in some areas, flowed throughout the Appalachians.

Music and water...I've got to think on this further....