Wardrobe of Eunuchs

L'histoire de Moi

Friday, March 17, 2006

So Many Names to Forget

If ever I were to have children, I know for a fact I'd name the little girl Sophie. Not only is it a plus that is is French, to go along with the already established hints towards my distant heritage, but it just seems soft and delicate to me, yet strong and stable. As a child, I always thought it was a sort of funny name, making me think of a couch, which I call a sofa more than anything. For some reason it also linked me to the name Blanche, which is also an ugly and kind of harsh name, but I think that's because I read story about a pair or bears who were named that.

As for if I were to ever have a male child...I'm not sure. There have never been many female names that I have liked, and so it's easy to distinguish what would be agreeable for a she. For a he, however, there are so many names I love and have felt strongly for through the years. The first name I ever loved was Michael; I was of course very young and had no incling to it's populatiry at the time. Then I fell in love with the name Shawn (Sean), and by the age of eight my two favourite names were Kongo and Tony, then Teddy at nine. Sometime between then and 13 I came to adore the following: Trenton, Tristan, Dwight, Miles, Wyatt, Jeremiah and Bryce. I've always liked looking through those infamour babyname books, and when I started frequenting the Bristol Public Library more often in my early teen years, they had QUITE the collection: at least 10 books, each barely more than 1000 pages at the least. Of course I never got through it all, but it was an enjoyable passtime (from these books I liked the female names Nona and Naomi). As I started reading novels, I came across even more beautiful names: Hadrian, Treviaun, Sebastian, Simion, Gabriel, Gideon, Perrin...my love for names tumbled over onto three out of the four children my sister bore--I was dismayed with the last one, after having written up a list baring three hundred names I'd searched extinsively for and she'd picked none of.

I started thinking of names on a more universal scale, and thought of them not so much as names, but as the sound that defines a person and who he is. I started thinking of the name of objects and colors and sounds, and how they could be applied into a person's name. What rock star is it that has kids names Racer Rider and Rebel? I admire that. Kate Hudson named her kid Ryder as well, and I really think that's a lovely name. I like these names, as well, though I've never heard of anyone named them, and they're only based on an environmental scale: Tokyo, Bird, Indigo, Blu, Tennessee, Violette (kind of sounds like viola ending with a arounded A sound). Even brand names are applicable, though I can't say I enjoy enough to list. OK, maybe just a little: Dalton (Dalton Book Store), Spalding (sports brand), etc.

When I did research for my sister's last baby, I look up and found so many lovely, impressive names that now I have so many favourites I surely cannot remember them all. Allow me to list those that I can remember: Abner, Asher, Archer, Anlon, Ahren, Brenton, Baelon, Cillian, Cian, Demian, Ezrial, Elias, Gaelon, Montreal, Orion, Phayton, Perrin, Pryce, Preston, Riordan, Reston, Sterling, Stefan, Trinity, Urial, Urian, Weston...If only I could remember more. :P I added a girl name or two in there. But as you can see, I'm quite conflicted when it comes to the masculine names. Right now, if I absolutely had to chose, I'd probably choose from the following: Riordan, Reston, Preston, Baelon, Cian, Anlon, Phayton, Perrin, Gabriel and Hadrian. What a pick! SO, here is my hypothetical boy child, are you ready?


I have no clue!