Wardrobe of Eunuchs

L'histoire de Moi

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

HELEN KELLER WAS ONE HELL OF A CONTENDER
PART I

When I was a kid, maybe 5 or 6, I use to pray every night to God that he would give me glasses, though I had 20/20 vision. I don't know why I was so fascinated with glasses, and maybe a lot of kids were, but they just seemed so...who knows, just cool and unique, I guess. I remember wearing my friend Scotty's glasses in my Kindergarden class, and getting in trouble by the teacher. "That'll ruin your eyes, young lady," she'd said.

After a few years wore off, so did my fondness for glasses. Glasses then became an apprehension, because the further on grade school goes, the more and more glasses shy away from being unique, and go into the land of geekyness. Well, it just so happened God finally granted my wish in the 4th grade. I cried and cried, because not only had the barber just butchered my hair into some triangular bob, but now I had to wear these big stupid glasses, which set me even farther apart than I already was from the kids in my grade. Needless to say, I wore them sparcely.

The less and less a wore them, the worse my vision became. But I didn't mind- anything to fit in, right? I continued not to wear them for years, but then started to wear them off and on in the 8th grade, finally realizing how bad my vision was from the difference between the world through the lens and the world without. Everytime I saw an eye doctor, he'd tell me I needed to where my glasses more often. So, I started wearing them more and more, and eventually I recieved contacts.

I wish I could remember how well things were defined when I was 3. Sure, I have the fond memories of watching Urika's Castle, playing cars with my twin brother, playing with fingerpaints and such, but I don't remember the extreme detail that was there. Surely objects needed to be vibrant and stand out to attract a 3 year old's attension, and maybe if I still had that natural vision, things in this world would be more interesting. The first few weeks I had my contacts, it was as though I was looking at things through a glass, and not really seeing anything, kind of like the way Aristotle felt (though somewhat ironic, consider I didn't feel that way with glasses, that actually DO have glass in them).

Hmmm...